When exporting and opening a .csv file in Excel, the data in the Membership ID field does not display leading zeroes. The Rievent Platform correctly tracks and formats the Membership ID field with leading zeroes, however Excel, by default, opens the file and formats the all the cells with the General format option, which hides the leading zeroes.
Using the Import Data From Text feature in Excel, you can change the formatting option for the Membership ID column to Text, which will allow for the display of leading zeroes.
- After downloading the csv. file from the Rievent Platform, open a new blank spreadsheet in Excel.
- Click on the Data tab, then select From Text, which is located in the Get External Data area. Depending on the size of your screen, this feature may be located under the Get External Data section (See Image 1), or it may already be on the Excel dashboard (See Image 2).
- Select the .csv you want to open, click Import.
- Choose the file type as Delimited, then click Next.
- Choose Comma as the Delimiter (make sure nothing else is checked), then click Next
- Select the column that should retain the zeroes (in this case Membership ID), then choose Text from the list of Column Data Format When you are done, click the Finish button.
- When asked where you want to import data, leave the default values and click OK.
- Done. The Membership ID Field will now display the leading zeroes.